What do I need to know about caring for someone with emotional trauma?

When a loved one is experiencing emotional trauma, you should endeavor to keep them comfortable and provide an environment of support and security. Providing gentle, emotional support can help your loved one feel cared for and understood even if they are scared and overwhelmed. Also remember that your own stress can affect the level of stress in another. Try to remain calm, and manage your distress.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Coping with Sudden Loss
Coping with Sudden Loss
Grieving the sudden loss of a friend or loved one can be difficult and heartbreaking. We spoke with licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, o...
How can emotional trauma affect my relationships with others?
With symptoms including avoidance of people, isolation, mistrust, and irritability, emotional trauma...
How can I express sympathy to a grieving friend?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Express your feelings. If you share your friend's sorrow, say so. It's even all right to blurt o...
Is It Possible to Die of a Broken Heart?