How can I cope with the death of a parent?

If you have lost a parent, some of the suggested strategies below may prove comforting.
  • Acknowledge submerged feelings. Sometimes, family members resurrect old hurts and patterns after a death. Planning a funeral and distributing belongings can be flash points. Try your best to communicate and avoid misunderstandings. Take a moment to remember that each person grieves in his or her own way.
  • Pass the baton. Ask the youngest family member at holiday gatherings to say a blessing once given by your parent, or ask everyone to join in.
  • Plan for difficult days. Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, and other family holidays can be especially painful. Plan an outing your parent would have enjoyed or a commemorative activity.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

How to Handle Your Grief During the Holidays
The holidays should be a time of tremendous joy. But when you’ve experienced a loss—especially if that loss is recent—the season can bring painful fee...
How can I share my feelings if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Tell people what helps. You might say, "I just need to cry right now," or "There's nothing you c...
What is mourning?
Mourning is the social face of grief, the ways in which society presses you to honor the dead an...
Paul Walker’s Last Conversations With His Family