Does emotional trauma affect children differently than adults?

Melissa Taylor
Emergency Room Nursing

Depending on the nature of the trauma and its cause, both children and adults can equally suffer devastating effects. Children may experience the suffering long into their adult lives if no ongoing counseling and emotional support is provided to help them process and understand the trauma and take active steps to manage their feelings, attitudes and coping skills regarding memories of the trauma. Adults suffer varying degrees of emotional trauma and may carry the internal devastation long term, or, they may have more advanced coping mechanisms from life experience and communication abilities to process the nature of the trauma, and manage their feelings, attitudes and coping in a manner resulting in mental health recovery in a shorter period of time. Adults may also need ongoing counseling and emotional support to effectively deal with emotional trauma.

Children are more prone to developing emotional trauma in the wake of stressful events. Because their brains and personalities are still in the developmental stage, emotional trauma suffered in childhood can have lasting effects into adulthood. Children are also highly at risk for certain forms of trauma; one study of women who were raped in the past found that in 60 percent of cases, the abuse happened before they were 18 years old.

Continue Learning about Grief & Emotional Health

Coping with Sudden Loss
Coping with Sudden Loss
Grieving the sudden loss of a loved one can be difficult and heartbreaking. We spoke with licensed psychotherapist Julie Hanks, PhD, LCSW, for tips on...
Why should I delay making big decisions if I am grieving?
Michael E. Hirsch, MDMichael E. Hirsch, MD
Grief can cloud your thought processes, and if you make abrupt decisions, you may regret them la...
How can I help a grieving friend move on?
Avoid judgments. Your friend's life and emotional landscape have changed enormously, possibly foreve...
An EMT Shares What He Has Learned About Death