Why should I go organic when caring for my lawn and garden?

Gary Ginsberg
Medical Toxicology
There are many actions we can take to show Mama Earth we still care about the planet and our future on it. One clear message is to go organic with your lawn and garden care. If not completely organic at first, you can at least use integrated pest management (IPM) techniques to take control of your piece of real estate and nurse it back from addiction to chemicals.

There are many reasons to do so, but as a toxicologist, it is my duty to put in front of you the emerging information about cancer risk. In one study, dogs were found to be at higher risk of canine malignant lymphoma (the dog version of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma) if the yard was treated regularly by a lawn company.

Since such findings are still at the level of association without ironclad proof, the companies have plausible deniability and you probably won’t win a court case against them if your dog (or, god forbid, your child) gets cancer.

But why deal with the possible risk when it’s easy to just say no to one of the major sources of toxic chemicals most homeowners, children and pets come in contact with: lawn chemicals. Most people don’t realize that more pesticides and fertilizers are applied per acre on residential lawns than on commercial farms. It’s pointless to worry about the pesticides on your produce if you hire a commercial lawn company.

Continue Learning about Green Health

Support AMA Fracking Full Disclosure Effort
The Swedish proverb “the afternoon knows what the morning never expected” was popularized by the great American poet Robert Frost. What he was express...
How can I green up my workout?
Here are four ways to make your workout greener: Give your walking workout more green by hiking t...
What, other than glass, paper, and plastic, can be recycled?
Batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, and electronic devices can all be recycled, in addition to well-...
4 Tips to Help You Go Green
4 Tips to Help You Go Green