What are some tips for safer, greener household cleaners?

Here are some tips for safer household cleaning products:
  • Liquid household chlorine bleaches contain chloride and ammonia, which evaporate into the air and aren't so good for you or the environment (nor are their containers).
  • Reduce use by purchasing concentrated solutions that you dilute as needed (this also cuts the cost of being "green").
  • Be smart and use nontoxic products to clean your home that are based in alcohol, peroxide, or bicarbonate.
  • Simple baking soda can be great for cleaning sinks and tubs.
  • Vinegar in a pump spray bottle cleans windows and mirrors.
  • Never mix bleach and ammonia. Without proper ventilation, that combination creates toxic hydrogen chloride that can kill you. With proper ventilation, it's just a little bit toxic (don't do it).
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Green Health

Climate Change Is a Health Issue
Climate Change Is a Health Issue
When Martha and the Vandellas released Heat Wave on July 9, 1963, it took the world by storm. Fifty-three years later, as heat waves blister the plane...
How can I live a greener lifestyle?
While you're showing your respect for your family, friends, and colleagues, there's no greater gift ...
How can plants help clean the air in my house?
Studies show that houseplants are the best filters of common pollutants such as ammonia, formald...
How Can I Go Green On a Budget?
How Can I Go Green On a Budget?