Are products bearing claims like “non-toxic” and “earth friendly” safer?

Not necessarily. Many companies make misleading “green” claims as a marketing tool. There are no regulations in the U.S. requiring manufacturers to back up advertising claims. “Greenwashing” is common in the cleaning supplies industry. Some manufacturers may tout a positive aspect of their product but ignore health or ecological concerns associated with other ingredients. For inexpensive green options, try cleaning with simple kitchen ingredients such as vinegar, lemons, baking soda and water – and a little elbow grease.

Continue Learning about Green Health

Stopping the Spread of Harmful Algae Blooms
Green slime. Red tide. Brown scum. Toxic algae blooms are fouling waterways across North America these days -- killing fish in Florida, sickening sea ...
Why are eco-friendly alternatives more effective than vacuuming the floor?
You really don't have to plug in the vacuum (one of the most wasteful uses of energy) to pick up eve...
What are the best green driving tips?
Be efficient. You may not be in the market for a hybrid, but you can save some energy with the wheel...
How Can I Go Green On a Budget?
How Can I Go Green On a Budget?