Is surgery a safe treatment option for Graves’ disease?

Surgery is a safe and effective treatment option for Graves’ disease. The surgical management of Graves’ disease consists of a total thyroidectomy, or removal of the entire thyroid gland, or a subtotal thyroidectomy (removal of most of the gland). The risks of surgery include voice hoarseness and problems with low calcium, but with an experienced surgeon the risks of these complications are very low (1-2%).
For more information go the endocrinediseases.org: Hyperthyroidism

Continue Learning about Graves' Disease

How do I know if I have Graves disease?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Your doctor will do a simple blood test that will be able to tell if your body has the right amount ...
What kind of doctor will I see for Graves' disease?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
You may see several kinds of doctors for Graves' disease, including the following:  Endocrinologi...
What are the symptoms of Graves' disease?
Hoyee Chan, MDHoyee Chan, MD
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that causes hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid), the sympt...
What are the causes of hyperthyroidism?
Stephanie Smooke-Praw, MDStephanie Smooke-Praw, MD
The main causes ofhyperthyroidism, or overactive thyroid, are an autoimmune condition called Graves’...