What is intercritical gout?

William J. Martin, MD
Rheumatology
Intercritical gout -- the second stage of gout -- is when most untreated people experience a second episode within two years of the first. Around 62% of people have a flare within one year, 78% within two years, and 93% within 10 years. Typically, doctors begin treatment to lower uric acid levels when a person has had at least two flares in one year.

Continue Learning about Gout

Keep Gout In Check
Keep Gout In Check
Swollen digits that often signal a gout attack are an ever-increasing menace. Overall prevalence of gout in North America has jumped two- to four-fold...
When should I call my doctor if I have gout?
If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may e...
Can children develop gout?
Cases of gout in children are extremely rare. If a child does develop gout, it is usually because of...
What to Do About Gout
What to Do About Gout