Are there different types of gout?

Gout is one form of arthritis. It can be divided into two categories, either primary or secondary, depending on the cause. It is sometimes confused with pseudogout, which often affects the knee joints.

There are different stages of gout. In its early stage, attacks occur a few times each year and last for several days. In its advanced stages, tophi (uric-crystal deposits) can begin to collect under the skin and become swollen and painful during an attack.

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
How can gout attacks be prevented?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
Treatment for hyperuricemia (high uric acid level) to prevent gout attacks aims to block the formati...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with gout?
When symptoms flare up, affected joints can be very painful to move and to touch. Ice can be helpful...
Ask the Experts: Gout Treatment
Ask the Experts: Gout Treatment