When should I call my doctor if I have gout?

If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may examine your joint during the attack. This will likely confirm the diagnosis without the need for a lot of other testing. There are many effective treatments for gout. Your doctor can help decide what treatment is best for you and help you recognize any recurrences of gout that you may have and teach you how to treat them.

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
How common is gout?
The prevalence of gout is on the rise. In fact, about six million people in the U.S. over the age of...
How does gout cause chronic kidney disease?
William J. Martin, MDWilliam J. Martin, MD
Hyperuricemia (high uric acid) is a cause of chronic kidney disease in men whose uric acid levels ar...
How Can Eating Cherries Help Gout?
How Can Eating Cherries Help Gout?