How does gout affect kidney stones?

William J. Martin, MD
Rheumatology
Kidney stones are frequent in people with gout - they are found in 10% to 25% of people with gout. The likelihood of kidney stones increases as a person's uric acid level increases. Uric acid stones and calcium stones also increase in people with gout.

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with gout?
When symptoms flare up, affected joints can be very painful to move and to touch. Ice can be helpful...
When should I call my doctor if I have gout?
If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may e...
Ask the Experts: Gout Treatment
Ask the Experts: Gout Treatment