Why does gout often first appear in the feet?

Collections of uric acid crystals tend to settle in cooler areas of the body. Temperature in the lower extremities, such as feet and toes, provide a more hospitable environment for the collections to grow. Initial attacks often occur in the big toes.

Continue Learning about Gout

The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
The Real Facts About Pseudo-Gout
There are pseudo-kudos (“My, that’s a nice jacket. What street did you pick that up on?”), pseudo-musicians (“It must be heavy-lifting carrying that t...
Can children develop gout?
Cases of gout in children are extremely rare. If a child does develop gout, it is usually because of...
When should I call my doctor if I have gout?
If you're having an attack of gout, it is best to see your doctor right away so that he or she may e...
The Worst Foods for Gout
The Worst Foods for Gout