Why should I do both strength and flexibility training for golf?

An integrated resistance and flexibility training program can improve swing mechanics, trunk and shoulder rotation, and club head speed, thereby improving golf performance. In addition, a comprehensive exercise program will keep your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints healthy and strong, which helps prevent golf related injuries such as lower-back pain. Flexibility training will help keep your joints and muscles limber, allowing for a bigger shoulder turn during the back swing while keeping the club in an ideal position. If you lack proper flexibility, your shoulder turn will be limited, which will negatively affect your power and increases your chances of a miss hit by coming over the top of the ball. In addition, a comprehensive flexibility and strength training program can improve posture during the swing. Optimal posture is essential to become a consistent golfer and minimize poor shots. Lastly, having a strong and stable core (muscles of the low back, hips, and abdominals), is key to maintaining a powerful golf swing. The best golfers in the world swing using their core muscles to turn through the ball, rather than the arm muscles.

Continue Learning about Golf

What are some lower-extremity plyometric activities for golfers?
To help develop optimal stability, strength, and power in the lower body, golfers may benefit fr...
How can I incorporate unstable environments into my golf training program?
Golfers can benefit from training in unstable environments in a number of ways. Athleticism requ...
Which lower-extremity stretches are essential for golf players?
Flexibility training is an important part of performance enhancement and injury prevention for g...
What exercises increase shoulder strength for golfers?
Strength training should include isolated exercises for rotator cuff strength and scapular stabi...