Why should I do both strength and flexibility training for golf?

An integrated resistance and flexibility training program can improve swing mechanics, trunk and shoulder rotation, and club head speed, thereby improving golf performance. In addition, a comprehensive exercise program will keep your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints healthy and strong, which helps prevent golf related injuries such as lower-back pain. Flexibility training will help keep your joints and muscles limber, allowing for a bigger shoulder turn during the back swing while keeping the club in an ideal position. If you lack proper flexibility, your shoulder turn will be limited, which will negatively affect your power and increases your chances of a miss hit by coming over the top of the ball. In addition, a comprehensive flexibility and strength training program can improve posture during the swing. Optimal posture is essential to become a consistent golfer and minimize poor shots. Lastly, having a strong and stable core (muscles of the low back, hips, and abdominals), is key to maintaining a powerful golf swing. The best golfers in the world swing using their core muscles to turn through the ball, rather than the arm muscles.

Continue Learning about Golf

How do I increase my golf club speed?
John Bauer , NASM Elite TrainerJohn Bauer , NASM Elite Trainer
In a golf swing, club head speed is going to be greatly determined by the flexibility of the golfer....
What are some golf specific movements for my dynamic warm-up?
Mr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite TrainerMr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite Trainer
I love a reverse lunge with reach. If you perform a reverse lunge with your left leg behind, you wil...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing