Which lower-extremity stretches are essential for golf players?

Hip flexibility is extremely important for an efficient and consistent swing. Start with foam rolling the front of the hip, take your time and try to stay on the tight area until you get a reduction in discomfort, then move slowly back and forth like you are using a rolling pen.

[media id="DEV__4c813232ab2da1_52832235" title="Foam Roll Front of Hip"]

Then go immediately into a hip flexor stretch like this. Perform 3-5 repetitions with a controlled tempo. This is a great way to warm up and stretch out your hips before you play!

Flexibility training is an important part of performance enhancement and injury prevention for golfers. Foam rolling the side of the thigh, front of the hip, gluteals, latissimus dorsi, and upper back are important to alleviate knots. Perform static stretching (holding a stretch for 30 seconds) on the calves and hamstrings before and after trainings.

Continue Learning about Golf

How can I hit the golf ball farther?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
In order for a golfer to hit the ball farther, you must first focus on increased your core strength ...
What are some golf specific movements for my dynamic warm-up?
Mr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite TrainerMr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite Trainer
I love a reverse lunge with reach. If you perform a reverse lunge with your left leg behind, you wil...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing