What type of fitness testing is helpful for golfers?

This one is in my wheelhouse. Diagnosing specific fitness limitations is critical in understanding how to build golf swing that matches the player. We use a series of functional screens that test stability, mobility and power related to the golf swing. We also look at gait analysis as most golf related injuries start with poor gait mechanics. PGA Tour players walk 7 miles per day in an event.
There are several fitness assessments helpful for golfers, including the thoracic spine mobility test, the wall shoulder flexion test, and the medicine ball rotation throw test. To perform the thoracic spine mobility test, sit on a physio ball and hold a club across your chest. Rotate to the right trying to get the club to turn past your left thigh. Repeat in the opposite direction. If you are unable to turn to the desired range of motion, you may have limited mobility in your mid-back (thoracic spine) and require stretching exercises to help increase your ability to rotate your trunk. The wall shoulder flexion test helps to assess if you have proper range of motion when raising your arms directly above your head. The test is performed with the you standing with your heels, buttocks, shoulders and head against a wall (the low back should be held in a neutral lumbar position) and arms hanging at your sides. With elbows extended and thumbs pointing up, extend your arms straight up toward the wall. The goal is to touch your thumbs against the wall with no compensatory movements such as shrugging your shoulders (bringing your shoulders towards your ears) or arching your lower back. If you notice any part of your body moving besides your arms, you may have some shoulder tightness. Lastly, the rotation medicine ball throw (left and right) would be a good assessment for total body power. This assessment measures rotational strength and power of the trunk muscles. To perform this assessment, stand with your feet shoulder width apart and pointing straight ahead while holding a medicine ball. Next, rotate your trunk 90 degrees as quickly as possible and throw the medicine ball using a pushing motion with your trailing arm. You may allow your back foot to pivot to help generate more power. Measure the distance the medicine ball traveled in the air. Perform on both sides. Reassess in the future to measure any improvements.

Continue Learning about Golf

How can I reduce the chance of lower-back injuries from golf?
Professional and amateur golfers can reduce their risk of low back injury by improving their swi...
How do I fit strength and conditioning training into my golf schedule?
You should be able to get in three days of training each week in addition to your weekly golf ga...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing