What are some exercises to help strengthen a golfer's back?

The rotational stresses of the golf swing can place considerable pressure on the spine and muscles. Also, poor flexibility and muscle strength can cause minor strains in the back that can easily develop into severe injuries. Two simple exercises to help strengthen lower back muscles and prevent injuries are rows and pull-downs. To perform rows, firmly tie the ends together of rubber tubing and place it around an object that is shoulder height, such as a door hinge. Standing with your arms straight out in front of you, grasp the tubing and slowly pull it toward your chest. Release slowly. Using the same tubing from the previous start position, pull-downs are done by kneeling and holding the tubing over your head. Pull down slowly toward your chest, bending your elbows as you lower your arms. Raise the tubing slowly over your head.

Continue Learning about Golf

How can I prevent forearm pain while golfing?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The best way to avoid forearm pain while golfing is to wear an elbow strap around the pinky side...
What are some upper-extremity plyometric activities for golfers?
To help develop optimal stability, strength, and power in the upper extremity, golfers may benef...
How can I prevent my elbow from hurting after a round of golf?
Golfer's elbow, also known as medial epicondilytis, is pain located in the inside of the elbow. Golf...
How can I test shoulder flexibility for golf?
The wall shoulder flexion test helps to assess if you have proper range of motion when raising y...