How is power assessed when training golfers?

The rotation medicine ball throw is a good assessment for total body power in golfers. This assessment measures rotational strength and power of the trunk muscles. To perform this assessment, stand with feet shoulder width apart and pointing straight ahead while holding a medicine ball. Next, rotate trunk 90 degrees as quickly as possible and throw the medicine ball using a pushing motion with the trailing arm. Back foot may be allowed to pivot to help generate more power. Measure the distance the medicine ball traveled in the air. Perform on both sides. Reassess in the future to measure any improvements.

Continue Learning about Golf

At what age is it appropriate to begin resistance training for golf?
Golfers can implement resistance training at any age. Resistance training does not automatically...
What is a drill to improve the accuracy of my golf putt?
One of the best ways to practice accuracy and aim is to imagine multiple holes between your spot...
How do I improve the accuracy of my golf putt?
The first step to golf putt accuracy is proper aim. It all starts in the setup. You must make su...
What are some core exercises for golf that can improve my rotational speed?
Rotational stability and speed are essential for all golfers. Some key exercises to include in y...