How do I increase my golf club speed?

In a golf swing, club head speed is going to be greatly determined by the flexibility of the golfer.  The common areas for most golfers that limit their overall range of motion are their hips, thoracic spine, and shoulder complex.  Exercise programming that helps to increase range of motion in these areas, as well as gain the appropriate strength and stability in these areas will allow the golfer to move the club a much greater distance in their swing.  The greater the distance the club head travels, the greater potential for a powerful swing.  

Flexibility and strength training exercises may be the best and quickest way to improving your golf swing speed and power. Top golfers use rotational exercises to improve their flexibility and strength of muscles used during the golf swing. For example, begin with foam rolling the inner thighs, thoracic spine, and latissimus dorsi muscles. When foam rolling hold each tender spot for at least 30 seconds to allow the muscles enough time to relax. Next, static stretch your adductors, erector spinae, and latissimus dorsi, holding each stretch for 30 seconds. This will give these muscles enough time to elongate to their proper lengths improving your joint range of motion. After stretching, performing some dynamic activities will help wake up your nervous system and strengthen your muscles. Start with lateral tube walking, a push-up with rotation, and a lunge with rotation. Perform one set of 10-15 repetitions with a moderate tempo. Once you have mastered these dynamic activities, more advanced exercises can be incorporated into your workouts such as cable rotations, cable chops, and cable lifts. Lastly, power oriented exercises such as a medicine ball rotation chest pass, scoop toss, and a woodchop throw can be used by advanced athletes.

Continue Learning about Golf

What are some exercises to help strengthen a golfer's back?
The rotational stresses of the golf swing can place considerable pressure on the spine and muscl...
What stretches will keep my lower back from hurting after I play golf?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
There are numerous studies that have come out recently that show the loss of lead leg internal rotat...
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?