How can I test shoulder flexibility for golf?

The wall shoulder flexion test helps to assess if you have proper range of motion when raising your arms directly above your head. The tests is performed with you standing with your heels, buttocks, shoulders, and head against a wall (the lower back should be held in a neutral lumbar position). Arms should be hanging at your sides. With your elbows extended and thumbs pointing up, extend your arms straight up toward the wall. The goal is to touch your thumbs against the wall with no compensatory movements such as shrugging your shoulders (bringing your shoulders towards your ears) or arching your lower back. If you notice any part of your body moving besides your arms, you may have some shoulder tightness.

Continue Learning about Golf

Can a stability ball help me strengthen my core for golf?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
Yes definitely, when you are on a stability ball you are challenging your balance to improve it. Bet...
Why is cardiorespiratory training important in golf?
Vincenzo Zurlo, NASM Elite TrainerVincenzo Zurlo, NASM Elite Trainer
Walking the course with insufficient cardiorespiratory training decrease the ability to produce cons...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing