How does flexibility help a golfer to hit the ball farther?

A golf swing is a complex biomechanical process that requires many muscles to work in combination in a chain known as a kinetic chain. Muscles produce their maximal amount of force at an optimal length tension relationship. A muscle that is excessively short or long will not produce as much force as a muscle that is at the proper length. Due to the activities of daily life and work often times certain muscle groups will become tight and thus shortened and will need to be lengthened through flexibility training to return to their optimal length and tension level. It is because of this that a properly designed flexibility program will allow a golfer to hit a golf ball further. For any tight or shortened muscles hold each stretch for 30 seconds to allow the muscle to return to a more optimal length, and combine this with a thorough warm up to prepare the body for the upcoming golf game.

Continue Learning about Golf

What exercises help golfers with core strength?
The core refers to all muscles that attach to the lumbo-pelvic hip complex. In addition to flexi...
How do I improve my posture for golf?
A strong trunk allows forces to be transferred effectively from the legs to the upper body and a...
What Stretches Can Golfers Do to Improve Hamstring Flexibility?
Exercises to Improve the Power of Your Golf Swing