Is Goldenhar Syndrome life-threatening?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In most cases, Goldenhar syndrome is not life-threatening although complications due to its symptoms can cause breathing, eating, and hearing problems. For example, a cleft palate or lip may affect a newborn's ability to nurse. As with any surgery, there is a risk of infection, bleeding, and/or nerve damage. Its best to talk to your doctor about your child's specific symptoms and any complications that may occur.

Continue Learning about Goldenhar Syndrome

How do I manage my childs Goldenhar syndrome symptoms on a daily basis?
Symptoms of Goldenhar syndrome vary and may require different types of daily care. For example, your...
What is Goldenhar syndrome?
Goldenhar syndrome is a birth defect that causes abnormal growth of tissue and bones in the face and...
What are the treatment options for Goldenhar syndrome?
Treatment options, including plastic and reconstructive surgeries vary because Goldenhar symptoms ca...
Should I talk to my doctor about my childs Goldenhar symptoms?
If your child is born with symptoms of Goldenhar syndrome, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms ...