How is Goldenhar syndrome diagnosed?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Goldenhar syndrome is diagnosed both clinically and by radiographic tests. The physical signs include: inadequate development of the mandible, ear, nose, palate, and mid-face. This is also similar to Hemifacial Microsomia. However, with this syndrome there is often poor development of internal organs (heart, kidneys, and lungs). Ultrasounds, CT scans, and MRIs may be used.

Prenatal ultrasounds are sometimes used to detect early signs of Goldenhar syndrome. At birth, a physical examination, x-rays, computer tomography scan known as a CT scan, as well as, reviewing the family medical history can help doctors diagnose Goldenhar syndrome. Your doctor may also consult with or refer you to a craniofacial specialist for further testing and diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Goldenhar Syndrome

Should I talk to my doctor about my childs Goldenhar symptoms?
If your child is born with symptoms of Goldenhar syndrome, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms ...
What are common symptoms of Goldenhar syndrome?
Goldenhar syndrome causes abnormal growth of tissue and bones in the face and skull. Symptoms range ...
Can symptoms of Goldenhar syndrome develop later in life?
Goldenhar syndrome is a birth defect. Symptoms are present at birth. As a child grows, their symptom...
Is Goldenhar Syndrome life-threatening?
In most cases, Goldenhar syndrome is not life-threatening although complications due to its symptoms...