What are the other names for glucosamine?

Glucosamine, a natural substance found in cartilage cells, has many names. Glucosamine sulfate is the most common supplement. Similar ones include glucosamine hydrochloride and n-acetyl glucosamine. These are not identical forms and may have somewhat different effects.

Other names are chitosamine, D-glucosamine, D-glucosamine sulfate, G6S, glucosamine potassium sulfate, glucosamine sulfate 2KCl and  glucosamine sulfate-potassium chloride.

Continue Learning about Glucosamine

Can I take glucosamine if I have a seafood allergy?
Often used to help ease joint issues, glucosamine is made from the shells of crab, lobster, and shri...
What dosage of glucosamine supplement is typically used for adults?
The best dose of glucosamine is not known. Most research studies have used doses of 1,200 to 1,500 m...
How does glucosamine treat knee injuries?
Glucosamine has been used to treat acute knee injuries in athletes. In one study, four weeks of trea...
How does glucosamine compare to NSAIDs for the treatment of osteoarthritis?
Most studies to date agree that the long-term results with glucosamine sulfate are at least as g...