Is glucosamine more effective than anti-inflammatory medication?

Studies evaluating the pain-relieving, inflammation-reducing benefits of glucosamine have been mixed.

Researchers who reviewed many studies found that glucosamine tends to be slightly better than a placebo for pain relief, but there was no obvious difference between the effectiveness of the supplement and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Glucosamine is usually taken with chondroitin in hopes of rebuilding and repairing worn-away cartilage that cushions bones. However, whether or not the combination slows arthritis is still unknown.

Glucosamine is generally considered safe and causes few side effects.
Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
In four key studies, glucosamine taken alone was shown to be as effective, or more so, than anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen. In each study, glucosamine was found to be safer and without the negative side effects of anti-inflammatory medication.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Glucosamine

How does glucosamine treat inflammatory bowel disease?
Inflammatory bowel disease is a chronic autoimmune condition in which the body mistakenly attacks th...
What side effects does Glucosamine cause?
MediGuardMediGuard
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 3% of patients experienc...
What should I avoid while taking glucosamine?
There is no need to avoid certain foods, beverages, or activities while taking glucosamine.If you ar...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking glucosamine?
Before taking glucosamine, you should talk with your healthcare provider to determine whether it is ...