What are the treatment options for glossopharyngeal neuralgia?

Treatment for glossopharyngeal neuralgia usually begins with medication. Doctors often prescribe anticonvulsants to help stabilize damaged nerves, as well as antidepressants, which can be effective at relieving pain. If neither of these medications work, a local anesthetic can be used to provide you with some temporary relief, and if all else fails, surgery may be an option. Unfortunately, these surgical options can sometimes result in the loss of sensation in your mouth, tongue, or throat.

Continue Learning about Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia

Can glossopharyngeal neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for glossopharyngeal neuralgia to clear up without any treatment, but it is not likel...
What is glosso-pharyngeal neuralgia in multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Neuralgias, or nerve pains, are among the more common of the rare multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms. ...
Should I see a doctor about my glossopharyngeal neuralgia symptoms?
If you believe you are experiencing symptoms of glossopharyngeal neuralgia, it is a good idea to see...
What is glossopharyngeal neuralgia?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Glossopharyngeal neuralgia involves a separate nerve that provides sensation to the inside of the ea...