Will treating my glaucoma prevent blindness?

Glaucoma is the number-one cause of preventable yet irreversible blindness in the Western world. If glaucoma is detected early and treated appropriately, vision loss should not occur. However, glaucoma remains a challenging disease to detect in some individuals because it is not symptomatic early, and treatment can be difficult. Medications control the eye pressure and prevent glaucoma damage from progressing in most but not all individuals. In some patients, laser or surgery will be required to control the glaucoma. An iridotomy is indicated if there is some degree of blockage to the flow of the aqueous fluid in the eye from the back of the eye into the front of the eye, where the fluid exits the eye through the drainage system. If there is sufficient blockage to narrow access to the dranis or to actually close off the drains, an iridotomy can be very beneficial and important in order to better control the eye pressure.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

What is low-tension and normal-tension glaucoma?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that cause vision loss through damage to the optic nerve. In low...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with glaucoma?
Helping someone with glaucoma is not a very difficult task. Having glaucoma can be very stressful on...
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?
What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?