Will treating my glaucoma prevent blindness?

Glaucoma is the number-one cause of preventable yet irreversible blindness in the Western world. If glaucoma is detected early and treated appropriately, vision loss should not occur. However, glaucoma remains a challenging disease to detect in some individuals because it is not symptomatic early, and treatment can be difficult. Medications control the eye pressure and prevent glaucoma damage from progressing in most but not all individuals. In some patients, laser or surgery will be required to control the glaucoma. An iridotomy is indicated if there is some degree of blockage to the flow of the aqueous fluid in the eye from the back of the eye into the front of the eye, where the fluid exits the eye through the drainage system. If there is sufficient blockage to narrow access to the dranis or to actually close off the drains, an iridotomy can be very beneficial and important in order to better control the eye pressure.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

What is the rate of incidence for glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a very common eye disease, but not everyone who has symptoms such as elevated eye pressu...
What should I ask my doctor about glaucoma?
Review the following questions about glaucoma so you're prepared to discuss this important health is...
Can reducing intraocular pressure help prevent vision loss due to glaucoma?
Dr. Laura C. Fine, MDDr. Laura C. Fine, MD
Several large trials have demonstrated the benefits of reducing intraocular pressure—whether through...
What is primary open-angle glaucoma?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Glaucoma is a disease of the optic nerve — the part of the eye that carries the images we see to the...