When should I call my doctor if I have glaucoma?

If you have glaucoma, you should seek medical attention immediately if you develop eye pain or a severe headache. You should also see your doctor if you begin to have any changes in your vision from your baseline, including blurred vision or halos around lights.

Glaucoma is caused by too much pressure in the eye. If not treated, it can lead to eye nerve damage and vision loss or blindness. If you've been diagnosed with glaucoma, it's critical to follow your treatment plan and see your eye doctor regularly to protect your eyes and vision. Be sure to let your doctor know if you have or develop any other illness, such as high blood pressure or asthma. You should also talk to your doctor before you start taking other medications. Always talk to your doctor if you have trouble with your glaucoma medications, but don't make any changes without your doctor's OK. If you have any of these symptoms, call your doctor or eye doctor:

• Any vision changes or problems seeing
  • Eye pain or pressure
  • Eye redness
  • Headaches, nausea or vomiting
  • Blurred vision, or other vision symptoms, such as halos around lights

You should talk to your doctor immediately if you are experiencing glaucoma symptoms. It is important for you to seek medical attention urgently when experiencing glaucoma attack symptoms to avoid irreversable optic nerve damage.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

Are there supplements that can help prevent glaucoma?
Dr. George A. Williams, MDDr. George A. Williams, MD
Generally, antioxidants are protective for the eye. Good scientific studies confirm that certain sup...
What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma refers to a group of eye diseases that damage the nerves carrying images from the eye to th...
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?