What is the rate of incidence for glaucoma?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Glaucoma is a very common eye disease, but not everyone who has symptoms such as elevated eye pressure will develop it. The rate of incidence is high, with about 3 million people in the United States living with the disease. Glaucoma is most likely to occur in anyone over the age of 60. African Americans are five times more likely than anyone with fair skin to develop glaucoma and about 15 times more likely to go blind because of it. Studies have shown that glaucoma is the second leading cause to blindness in the United States.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

Can Blindness Be Prevented?
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
How Have Advances in Molecular Biology Helped Eye Disease Treatments?
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?
Do genetics Play a Role in Eye Diseases Like Glaucoma?