What do I need to know about caring for someone with glaucoma?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Helping someone with glaucoma is not a very difficult task. Having glaucoma can be very stressful on the person suffering from the condition because glaucoma has no cure. It is a good idea to encourage someone who has glaucoma to join the many support groups that exist. Being supportive and understanding toward the person is the best care you can give them, with the exception of help with walking or finding things due to loss of vision. Another helpful way to care for someone with glaucoma is to make sure they take their medication properly and see their doctor on a regular basis.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

Is it common to have glaucoma for decades with no vision loss?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
It is very good to have glaucoma for this many years and to be doing so well. It might even be reaso...
What are the different types of glaucoma?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma. This is the most common form of glaucoma in the United States. The ris...
Would a family history of glaucoma prevent me from having Lasik surgery?
Marian S. Macsai, MDMarian S. Macsai, MD
A family history of glaucoma does not necessarily eliminate LASIK surgery as an option. With cur...
How Have Advances in Molecular Biology Helped Eye Disease Treatments?