What is low-tension and normal-tension glaucoma?

Laura C. Fine, MD
Ophthalmology
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that cause vision loss through damage to the optic nerve. In low-tension or normal-tension glaucoma, the optic nerve (nerve fibers that transmit visual impulses to the brain) suffers damage typical of glaucoma, but at normal eye pressures. The diagnosis is often made after there has been some vision damage, but more sensitive diagnostic techniques are making it possible to detect this disease earlier, before peripheral vision is lost. After other possible causes of the optic nerve damage and visual loss have been eliminated, lowering the pressure even further with medication, surgery, or both will usually stabilize the condition.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

What are the different types of glaucoma?
There are several forms of glaucoma, including the following: Open-angle. In this most common fo...
When should I call my doctor if I have glaucoma?
If you have glaucoma, you should seek medical attention immediately if you develop eye pain or a sev...
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?