What is normal-pressure glaucoma?

Normal-pressure glaucoma is diagnosed when the eye pressure is within the normal range of approximately 10 to 21 mm Hg but there is still evidence of the typical optic-nerve damage and vision loss seen in glaucoma. Many individuals diagnosed with normal-pressure glaucoma may actually have high pressures that are not found on routine examination, as eye pressure can vary quite a bit. Even individuals with untreated high-pressure glaucoma will have a normal pressure one-third of the time. The factors that might predispose you to normal-pressure glaucoma are not well understood, and your eye doctor may wish to do a medical work-up to ensure that you do not have another condition that might mimic glaucoma.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

When should I call my doctor if I have glaucoma?
If you have glaucoma, you should seek medical attention immediately if you develop eye pain or a sev...
What is pigmentary open-angle glaucoma?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Pigmentary glaucoma results when the pigment from the back of the colored portion of the eye (th...
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
Can Blindness Be Prevented?
How Have Advances in Molecular Biology Helped Eye Disease Treatments?