Are there supplements that can help prevent glaucoma?

Dr. George A. Williams, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Generally, antioxidants are protective for the eye. Good scientific studies confirm that certain supplements help prevent cataracts and some stages of macular degeneration. Studies about which supplements are helpful for glaucoma are ongoing. A well-balanced diet that includes several servings of leafy green vegetables is recommended for everyone.

There are no known supplements that can help prevent glaucoma. There is no scientific evidence that supplements will help prevent glaucoma.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

When should I call my doctor if I have glaucoma?
If you have glaucoma, you should seek medical attention immediately if you develop eye pain or a sev...
What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a progressive loss of vision from damage to the optic nerve, a set of nerves that ru...
What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?