What is pigmentary open-angle glaucoma?

Pigmentary glaucoma results when the pigment from the back of the colored portion of the eye (the iris) is rubbed due to abnormal contact between the iris and the fibers that hold the lens in position in the eye. The pigment then is carried by the fluid that circulates in the eye to the drain in the eye and gradually causes obstruction of those drains, which can result in elevated eye pressure and glaucoma.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

When should I seek immediate help if I have glaucoma?
Sometimes, glaucoma can be asymptomatic until it is a true emergency with risk of permanent blin...
Is it common to have glaucoma for decades with no vision loss?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
It is very good to have glaucoma for this many years and to be doing so well. It might even be reaso...
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?