How is the stage of glaucoma determined?

Glaucoma can be staged by many methods. One method involves staging the disease by how much vision loss is present on the visual-field test. Unfortunately, relying on the present-day visual-field tests for staging may underestimate the severity of the damage, as the visual field remains normal until there is substantial damage to the optic nerve. Glaucoma is therefore probably best staged early in the disease by the amount of damage to the optic nerve.
Unfortunately, we can never know exactly how much nerve damage is present, but we can often make a good estimate. In most patients with glaucoma, 50% or sometimes even more of the nerve can be damaged before any visual-field abnormalities can be detected. Therefore, glaucomatous optic-nerve damage at this level without visual-field loss is usually considered early glaucoma.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

When should I seek immediate help if I have glaucoma?
Sometimes, glaucoma can be asymptomatic until it is a true emergency with risk of permanent blin...
What are the different types of glaucoma?
There are several forms of glaucoma, including the following: Open-angle. In this most common fo...
What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?