How is the stage of glaucoma determined?

Glaucoma can be staged by many methods. One method involves staging the disease by how much vision loss is present on the visual-field test. Unfortunately, relying on the present-day visual-field tests for staging may underestimate the severity of the damage, as the visual field remains normal until there is substantial damage to the optic nerve. Glaucoma is therefore probably best staged early in the disease by the amount of damage to the optic nerve.
Unfortunately, we can never know exactly how much nerve damage is present, but we can often make a good estimate. In most patients with glaucoma, 50% or sometimes even more of the nerve can be damaged before any visual-field abnormalities can be detected. Therefore, glaucomatous optic-nerve damage at this level without visual-field loss is usually considered early glaucoma.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

What is normal-pressure glaucoma?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Normal-pressure glaucoma is diagnosed when the eye pressure is within the normal range of approximat...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with glaucoma?
Helping someone with glaucoma is not a very difficult task. Having glaucoma can be very stressful on...
Do genetics Play a Role in Eye Diseases Like Glaucoma?
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?