Can glaucoma be prevented?

Glaucoma is an eye disease that causes an increase in the pressure within the eyeball itself. In terms of prevention, people with an already elevated eyeball pressure (ocular hypertension) should be placed on specialized eye drops to prevent the progression to glaucoma. There are also several medical conditions that if not treated, can lead to glaucoma. Diabetes is a common disease with the possibility of leading to eye problems, like glaucoma, if blood sugars are not managed well. Traumatic damage and eyeball trauma may have a chance of developing secondary glaucoma later on. Thus, it is important to wear protective goggles when doing sports, construction work, or any other activity that has a chance of eyeball damage.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

What should I ask my doctor about glaucoma?
Review the following questions about glaucoma so you're prepared to discuss this important health is...
Can vision loss from glaucoma be reversed?
Vision loss from acute glaucoma can be reversed if the pressure is reduced soon enough. In most case...
What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?