Why should I get open-angle glaucoma surgery?

A clear liquid called aqueous humor circulates inside the front portion of the eye. In open-angle glaucoma, this liquid does not flow efficiently through the eye’s sponge-like drainage system (known as the trabecular meshwork). When this liquid fails to drain properly, pressure builds within the eye. The medical term for this pressure is intraocular pressure. Such pressure inside the eye may damage the optic nerve and lead to vision loss. Medications, laser surgery or other glaucoma surgeries may be used to lower and control the eye pressure.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma Treatments

When is open-angle glaucoma surgery necessary?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
When medications or laser treatment cannot lower eye pressure enough, surgery is usually recommended...
How is acute angle-closure glaucoma treated?
Acute angle-closure glaucoma is treated as a medical emergency. Doctors will administer whatever pro...
How does laser iridotomy help treat closed-angle glaucoma?
Laura C. Fine, MDLaura C. Fine, MD
Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that cause vision loss through damage to the optic nerve. For tr...
How can I protect my vision from being affected by glaucoma?
The best way to prevent glaucoma is through an early detection and early treatment. If you are highe...