What can I expect if I have open-angle glaucoma surgery?

Before Surgery
You will continue to use your glaucoma medications until just prior to surgery. If you take aspirin or any products containing aspirin, these should be discontinued at least seven to 10 days prior to surgery. If you take Coumadin, you will need to discontinue this medication three to five days prior to surgery.
The precise timing for stopping and resuming your medication is usually coordinated with your internist or cardiologist.
The Day of Surgery
A trabeculectomy is done as an outpatient surgery with a local anesthetic to prevent discomfort during the operation. You may be given a sedative to help you relax. General anesthesia is rarely necessary. The procedure is usually performed in less than an hour, but it may take longer if you have had previous eye surgery, if your eye is inflamed, or if abnormal blood vessels are present.
After Surgery
Postoperative care is as important to the long-term success of the operation as the surgery itself. In follow-up appointments, your ophthalmologist will examine the filtering bleb, the external appearance of the eye, your eye pressure and the back of your eye. You should avoid lifting, bending or straining after surgery until your eye pressure stabilizes.
Pain is unusual after surgery, although your eye may feel tender and sensitive. A non-aspirin pain reliever is usually sufficient to treat any discomfort. Sudden, severe or deep-seated pain, especially if it is associated with loss of vision, should be reported to your ophthalmologist immediately.
Eye pressure is adequately controlled in three out of four people. Although follow-up visits are still necessary after surgery, many people will no longer need to use eyedrops. However, if the new opening closes or too much fluid drains from the eye, additional surgery may be necessary.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma Treatments

How do medications and other treatments help glaucoma?
Common medications offered for glaucoma such as eye drops will help your condition by draining fluid...
How can I protect my vision from being affected by glaucoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The best way to prevent glaucoma is through an early detection and early treatment. If you are highe...
What are possible complications of an iridotomy for glaucoma?
Manvi P. MakerManvi P. Maker
An iridotomy is a very commonly performed procedure, which is usually quite safe. Serious compli...
What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?