What is Ginkgo biloba?

The ginkgo tree, also known as the maidenhair tree, is one of the oldest living species in the world. This hardy, deciduous tree is cultivated on plantations in many parts of the world, primarily in the United States and China. Ginkgo leaves are picked, dried and extracted to manufacture ginkgo products, which are marketed widely.

Extracts of Ginkgo biloba can be used to treat the following:
  • limping due to insufficient peripheral blood flow (disorders of peripheral circulation, or intermittent claudication)
  • memory loss due to general mental deterioration (dementia) or physical disorders that cause a decrease in mental function (organic brain syndrome)
  • dizziness (vertigo) and ringing in the ears (tinnitus), originating from insufficient blood supply to the inner ear

Continue Learning about Ginkgo

What should I avoid while taking ginkgo biloba?
While taking gingko biloba, avoid certain drugs that may adversely interact with this supplement. Th...
Can I take ginkgo biloba and ginseng if I take BP medicine?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
You should discuss this with your doctor, especially the specialist prescribing the blood pressure m...
How should I take ginkgo biloba?
Gingko biloba comes in the form of teas, liquids, colas, capsules, extracts, sprays, bars and ta...
Are there any reasons to avoid Ginkgo biloba?
The following cautions should be considered before using Ginkgo biloba: Situations in which use ...