What side effects does Ginkgo Biloba cause?

Ginkgo biloba is an herb that comes from the Chinese ginkgo tree. It appears to be another of many possible antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables. A known side effect of ginkgo biloba is an antiplatelet effect (it inhibits the ability of platelets to clump together and cause blood clotting), which does not appear to be significant for most patients.
Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 5% of patients experience side effects while taking Ginkgo Biloba. Some of the side effects reported by iGuard members inlcude: Nose Bleeds. Please follow up with your doctor or other healthcare provider if you are experiencing any symptoms that worsen or do not go away.

It is possible to have an allergic reaction to or other side effects from ginko biloba. This supplement may cause a higher danger from bleeding due to anti-clotting properties, so do not take it for two weeks before surgery or with other blood-thinning drugs, such as aspirin, NSAIDs, or anticoagulants. Also avoid gingko biloba if you take seizure medications.

Continue Learning about Ginkgo

What do I need to know about ginkgo biloba and ginseng?
Two herbs that patients ask us about more than any others are ginkgo biloba and ginseng. I lump them...
Should I take ginkgo biloba to improve or protect my memory?
If you want to. Though there are no large studies to support its use, there's some promise that this...
How can Ginkgo biloba affect blood circulation?
Ginkgo may improve blood circulation. Improvements are documented for patients with insufficient...
Who should not take ginkgo biloba?
Do not take gingko biloba if you know you are allergic to it. Do not take garlic if you take blood-t...