Why am I at risk for gingivitis when I am pregnant?

Because of raised hormone levels, gingivitis is sometimes common in pregnant women. Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains the importance of good oral hygiene during pregnancy.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Unfortunately, only 22-34% of pregnant women visit their dentist. Ironically, a shocking 60-75% of pregnant women have gingivitis (inflammation of the gums). Gingivitis is caused by the accumulation of plaque, a sticky biofilm of bacteria, which covers the gums. During gestation, women experience a rise in estrogen and progesterone levels, increasing the gums' susceptibility to the bacteria found in plaque.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

Can regular hormonal changes affect my risk of gingivitis?
Hormonal changes affect women's gums, making them more likely to get gingivitis. Some women may expe...
What is menstruation gingivitis?
Menstruation gingivitis is inflammation and irritation of the gums caused by changes in the hormones...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?