What is the link between gingivitis and heart disease?

The exact link between gingivitis and heart disease is poorly understood, but it is thought there is an inflammatory reaction that may contribute to heart attacks. Poor dental hygiene, causing disease like gingivitis, can allow bacteria present in the mouth to enter the body's circulation and cause an infection of the heart valves. This is a serious infection, so prevention with good oral hygiene is recommended.
Left untreated, gingivitis can progress to periodontitis. Periodontitis is a serious condition associated with an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Periodontitis may also make worse an existing heart condition, such as infective endocarditis.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

When should I seek immediate care if I have gingivitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In most circumstances, you should not need immediate care if you have gingivitis. Gingivitis is t...
Is gingivitis serious?
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease that causes the gums to become red and swollen...
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?