Can prescription drugs make gingivitis more likely?

Many prescription drugs can make gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) more likely. In most cases, these drugs make your mouth dryer. Less saliva means bacteria aren't washed away as well and can cause gingivitis. Prescription medicines that can cause dry mouth include high blood pressure drugs, antihistamines, drugs for anxiety and depression, and diuretics. The prescription drugs phenytoin (Dilantin) and cyclosporine, and calcium channel blockers such as nifedipine (Procardia), can cause an overgrowth of gum tissue, which can lead to gingivitis.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

What's the difference between gingivitis and periodontitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Periodontal (gum) diseases are classified according to the severity of the disease. The two majo...
How can gingivitis be prevented?
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease (an infection that affects the tissues and bon...
When should I call my dentist if I have gingivitis?
If you think you have gingivitis, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gingivitis can usually b...
Is gingivitis serious?
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease that causes the gums to become red and swollen...