Can a lack of vitamins lead to gingivitis?

Absolutely. From the time that scurvy was discovered as a Vitamin C deficiency amonst sailor on ships hundreds of years ago, vitamin deficiencies have been shown to lead to gingivitis and more advanced periodontal (gum) problems. Several studies in Japan in the 1970's showed that diseased gums were deficiient in Coenzyme Q-10, another vital vitamin-like nutrient that was essential for proper cell function. The work of Dr. Emmanuel Cheraskin, a dentist and physician, demonstrated the importance of vitamin C to healthy gums. The other key vitamins for healthy gums include Vitamins B, D, E, and Folic Acid. 
Sometimes, people who don't get enough vitamin C and niacin can develop bleeding and inflamed gums. Not getting enough niacin can also lead to mouth infections, or tongue inflammation. If you think you're deficient in vitamin C or niacin, take supplements.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

When should I call my dentist if I have gingivitis?
You should talk to your dentist if you think you may have gingivitis because of its identifiable sym...
Is gingivitis serious?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Gingivitis is the mildest form of periodontal disease that causes the gums to become red and swollen...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth