When should I seek immediate care if I have gingivitis?

In most circumstances, you should not need immediate care if you have gingivitis.

Gingivitis is the earliest form of gum disease, which is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is a major cause of tooth loss in adults.

Here are some warning signs that can signal a problem:
  • gums that bleed easily
  • red, swollen, tender gums
  • gums that have pulled away from the teeth
  • persistent bad breath or bad taste
  • permanent teeth that are loose or separating
  • any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
  • any change in the fit of partial dentures
See your dentist if you suspect you have gum disease because the sooner you treat it the better.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

What is gingivitis?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Gum disease, also known as gingivitis, is an inflammation of the gums caused by plaque sitting on th...
What are the signs of gum disease?
Signs of gum disease include: Red or swollen gums Tender or bleeding gums Painful chewing Loos...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth