When should I call my dentist if I have gingivitis?

You should talk to your dentist if you think you may have gingivitis because of its identifiable symptoms. You may notice that your gums bleed easily when you floss or brush your teeth. Your gums may also appear to be red and swollen, or they may seem as if they are receding. If these symptoms appear, do not delay in making an appointment, as untreated gingivitis can lead to more serious forms of gum disease.

If you think you have gingivitis, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gingivitis can usually be eliminated by a professional cleaning at your dental office, followed by daily brushing and flossing. Good dental care at home is essential to help keep gingivitis from becoming more serious or recurring.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

What's the best way to prevent gingivitis with diabetes?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The best way to prevent gingivitis with diabetes is through regular dental visits and cleanings and ...
What's the difference between gingivitis and periodontitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Periodontal (gum) diseases are classified according to the severity of the disease. The two majo...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth