If I have gingivitis, how do I care for my teeth at home?

Carol Jahn
Dentist
If you have gingivitis, good thorough home care that includes twice daily brushing and cleaning between your teeth once a day is a must. Both manual and power toothbrushes are effective; however if your dental professional indicates you need to do a better job brushing, consider switching to a power toothbrush. In most cases, power toothbrushes have been shown to remove more plaque than a traditional manual toothbrush.

Second, and most importantly, you really do have to clean between your teeth every day. If you struggle with dental floss, give it up! There are many great effective tools for cleaning between teeth including toothpicks, interdental brushes, floss holders, and a Water Flosser. The Water Flosser has been compared to string floss in three separate studies and in each instance was shown to reduce bleeding better than string floss and remove plaque as well.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

When should I call my dentist if I have gingivitis?
You should talk to your dentist if you think you may have gingivitis because of its identifiable sym...
What is gingivitis?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Gum disease, also known as gingivitis, is an inflammation of the gums caused by plaque sitting on th...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth
Sip Green Tea for Healthier Teeth