Can smoking cause gingivitis?

Smoking is one of the most significant risk factors for periodontal disease, including gingivitis. Compared to nonsmokers, smokers are more likely to develop deep periodontal pockets between their teeth and gums. Smokers are also more likely than nonsmokers to lose teeth and the tissue that support the teeth.
Smoking can be a risk factor in increasing the chances of developing periodontal disease. People who smoke or chew tobacco are more likely to have periodontal disease. Periodontal treatment is also less successful in patients who continue to smoke. Do yourself a favor and quit smoking today! Good oral hygiene is key. Always remember to brush your teeth twice a day, clean between your teeth once a day, eat a balanced diet and schedule regular dental visits for a lifetime of healthy smiles.

Continue Learning about Gingivitis

What are the signs of gum disease?
Signs of gum disease include: Red or swollen gums Tender or bleeding gums Painful chewing Loos...
When should I call my dentist if I have gingivitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you think you have gingivitis, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gingivitis can usually b...
Can prescription drugs make gingivitis more likely?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
YES! Inflammation of the gums (gingiva) can be caused by prescribed drugs. Anything that changes the...
What is gingivitis?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Gum disease, also known as gingivitis, is an inflammation of the gums caused by plaque sitting on th...