What should I do before starting a weight-loss program?

Make an appointment with your physician and make sure you are healthy enough to go on a weight loss program. Make a plan and be committed. Go shopping and stock your refrigerator and cupboards with healthy snacks and things to prepare healthy meals with. Get rid of all junk food. If it's not in the house to tempt you then you won't eat it. Involve the whole family in your transformation. Get yourself a support system to give you encouragement. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise.

Tony Horton
Fitness

Fitness expert and creator of the P90X fitness program, Tony Horton, explains what you should do before starting a weight loss program. Watch Tony's video for tips and information on fitness, health and wellness.

Before you begin a weight loss program be sure to see your doctor and/or a registered dietician.  Your doctor will help determine if there are any health issues you should take into consideration while changing your eating habits.  A registered dietician will give you all the information, support, accountability and tools you need in order to develop a healthy eating plan that you can incorporated for life. 

“Well begun is half done.” -Aristotle

Before starting any weight loss program, please consult your doctor first and get his/her clearance for physical activity and find out of there any issues that would affect you participating in a new nutrition and program (blood pressure, blood sugar, etc).  I am sure your physician will be very supportive and have good advice for you.

Since nutrition and exercise are the cornerstones of any successful weight program you should consult a registered nutritionist and fitness professional like we have here on Sharecare. The nutritionist will be able to recommend a sensible diet that will help make a lifestyle change not some quick-fix weight loss program that will only end up leaving you starving and probably gaining more weight. The fitness professional will take into account your present state of health and fitness and put together a program that will be safe, effective and hopefully fun too.

Lastly, if well begun is half done, then in order to start off right you should consider what your goal for weight loss will be. All three of the afore mentioned professionals will be able to make recommendations to what they think is a challenging but realistic goal for you but you need to want it, believe in it and be ready to work towards your goal. 

My expertise would be in exercising programming for weight loss so if you need any help please feel free to contact me. Good Luck!

Consulting your doctor is a great first step.  Most likely your Doctor will encourage your efforts!  Then you are ready to begin making changes, replacing unhealthy patterns with new healthy ones.  Of course the basics to reach the goal of weight loss are proper nutrition and exercise.  I have learned that staying connected to others who share similar goals is effective in helping with support through the process.  Decide and take action.  You can do this.

Continue Learning about Getting Started with Weight Loss

4 Tips for Lasting Change
4 Tips for Lasting Change
We all know that making a physical change in your life often starts with a change of mindset as much as a change in behavior. Research shows that this...
Is diet or exercise more important for weight loss?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Exercise is an important part of health and longevity, but it's not the key to weight loss; changing...
How fast can I lose weight?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
How fast you can lose weight will depend on what you do. If you cut way back on calories and exercis...
To Eat Fewer Calories, Enjoy Calm Meals
To Eat Fewer Calories, Enjoy Calm Meals