How does radiation therapy treat my gestational trophoblastic tumor?

Radiation therapy (radiotherapy) treats gestational trophoblastic tumors through the use of high-energy X-rays. These X-rays penetrate the tumor and kill the tumor cells. Radiation therapy is not commonly used for GTT. It is primarily reserved for tumors that have spread to areas beyond the uterus, which are not responding to chemotherapy. For example, GTT that has spread to the brain is sometimes treated with radiation therapy.

Continue Learning about Gestational Trophoblastic Tumor

How are the types of gestational trophoblastic tumors related?
The three most common types of gestational trophoblastic tumors (GTTs) are closely related to each o...
How do I care for someone with gestational trophoblastic tumor?
Caring for a woman with gestational trophoblastic tumor (GTT) involves helping them deal with the ef...
How do placental site trophoblastic tumors differ from other GTTs?
Placental site trophoblastic tumors (PSTTs) differ from the other three types of gestational trophob...
How are gestational trophoblastic tumors staged?
Staging of gestational trophoblastic tumors is the process of classifying the tumors based on their ...