Will gestational diabetes prevent me from breastfeeding?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you may question whether you will be able to safely breastfeed after your baby is born. Breastfeeding is perfectly fine after you've had gestational diabetes. In fact, it is recommended, as it may help prevent you from developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. Therefore, you can plan on breastfeeding if you've developed gestational diabetes.

Vandana  R. Sheth
No, it should not.  In fact, breastfeeding is highly recommended as a valuable tool to help your body maintain better blood sugar control.  This said, it is important that you ensure getting adequate calories, protein and nutrients for lactation.  Discuss with your physician and registered dietitian if you need to continue to monitor your blood sugar and eat small, frequent meals.  Also, it is important that you get your labs done at 6 weeks after delivery to see if your blood sugar level is back to normal.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
Why should I include protein in my diet if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you should include some healthy protein with every meal or sna...
Does gestational diabetes lead to full-blown diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Gestational diabetes is very poorly named. We should call it preview diabetes. Consider this:   Dia...
How often should I eat if I have gestational diabetes?
If you have gestational diabetes, you should eat small, frequent meals and snacks. Eat about eve...