Will gestational diabetes prevent me from breastfeeding?

Vandana  R. Sheth
No, it should not.  In fact, breastfeeding is highly recommended as a valuable tool to help your body maintain better blood sugar control.  This said, it is important that you ensure getting adequate calories, protein and nutrients for lactation.  Discuss with your physician and registered dietitian if you need to continue to monitor your blood sugar and eat small, frequent meals.  Also, it is important that you get your labs done at 6 weeks after delivery to see if your blood sugar level is back to normal.

If you have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you may question whether you will be able to safely breastfeed after your baby is born. Breastfeeding is perfectly fine after you've had gestational diabetes. In fact, it is recommended, as it may help prevent you from developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. Therefore, you can plan on breastfeeding if you've developed gestational diabetes.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
How often should I eat if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you should eat small, frequent meals and snacks. Eat about eve...
What should I know before I start insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?
Many drugs can raise or lower blood sugar and lessen or intensify the effects of insulin. Be sure to...